On Feb. 8, the Upper Delaware Council found out that its access to its usual funding -- $300,000 annually -- had been released. The U.S. Department of the Interior had withheld the payments that the UDC received via the National Park Service while the department reviewed all grants of $50,000 or more. (See related story - Upper Delaware Council, handcuffed by feds, faces possible closure.)
2018 UDC Chairperson Aaron Robinson (Shohola Township) said in a statement:
“I am elated to learn that our 2018 funding has been reinstated. Although the suspension of funding inflicted many setbacks to our operation and staff, the UDC will do its best to overcome these obstacles and move forward with our work plan for 2018. We will now be able to use its financial resources once again toward productive purposes.
“I extend my wholehearted thanks to those in the public sector, private individuals, other concerned organizations, the media, and especially Congressman John Faso (NY-19) for advocating for us during this ‘do or die’ period,” Robinson said.
Sounding a note of caution after Fiscal Year 2017 funding had been similarly delayed by an unexpected DOI review that lasted from April to July, Robinson added, “I only hope this is the very last ‘near death experience’ that the Council will endure.”